George's Majestic - Fayetteville, AR (March 3, 2013)

written by Dorothy St.Claire

I love George's Majestic. It's such a great little venue. It had been remodeled since our last visit, so Colin and I were doubly excited to be back. And this time we talked Whitney, Chad, and Nicole into making their first trip down to Fayetteville with us. The five of us met up with Cathy and Garrett for dinner, and then took up our usual post in the little George's hallway, waiting to get in.


Photo courtesy of Whitney Maxwell
W.M.

This was also one of those glorious nights with no opening band. Pure Yonder. All night long. The venue finally opened and we found our spots on the rail; taking our time to take in our new surroundings. The stage was huge, and as the band entered to wild cheers, I couldn't believe this was the same George's Majestic as years past. There was an actual rail, which I quickly weaved in front of as they opened the show with "Illinois Rain". The energy was high and the music was loud. "Thank you folks, happy Sunday to ya." Jeff said as "Illinois Rain" wrapped up. The bouncy melody of "Town" came next, and I enjoyed watching Ben's wiggle as he sang and played. We got a little "Polka on the Banjo", and it was clear that all four guys were in top form tonight. They played with such enthusiasm, and the stuff Dave was pulling out during "Polka" was just unheard of. "Thank you Fayetteville," Dave responded to the screams, "it's my job, and our job as a band to get your trousers sweaty tonight."


W.M.
W.M.
W.M.
W.M.
W.M.
W.M.

"Too Late Now" came on as I made my way to the back of the venue to go outside and come back in next to the stage. Yeah, that was a bit of a hassle. But I rocked out to "Too Late Now" and "Near Me" in one of my favorite spots - at the side of the stage. As Ben told stories about past Fayetteville experiences, I made my way back to my rail spot (by going back outside and going all the way through the crowd again), where I would post up through the end of the set. "Troubled Mind"> "20 Eyes"> "Troubled Mind" greeted me as I got back to the front, and everyone's dancing became even more crazed. 


"It's nice to be back in the lovely state of Arkansas to play some more music." Jeff said, "The last time we were in the state of Arkansas trying to play music, the Gods were not on our side." Everyone hooted and hollered, clearly still having a clear memory of the terrible weather that put a stop to Yonder's 1,500th show back in October. "We love lightening across the sky just as much as the rest of you..." It's funny now... but it wasn't so funny then. "Here's a little tune from our dear brother Mr. Todd Snider. Based on a true story, mostly. Except the whole thing." Ha! Adam had strapped on his harmonica, so it was time for "Just Like Old Times". Eh. Not my favorite. But that's OK. It was followed by one of my absolute favorites, "Night Is Left Behind". I couldn't help but remember my birthday in 2008, the first time Colin, Emily, and I made the trek down to George's Majestic. I requested "Night Is Left Behind" through a t-shirt that I made, and it made my night when they played my song. A lot has happened in those few years, including a whole heck of a lot of Yonder shows, but it actually did feel just like old times right then.


I could hear Ben chant to himself "bluegrass music, bluegrass music" before starting "Sharecropper's Son". It was endearing, watching him psych himself up. And as they played this sweet bluegrass song, Dave just kept on killin' it! And then Adam sang "Big Spike Hammer". Yep. I ain't foolin'. Whitney was wearing her fun meter, and at the start of "Big Spike Hammer" I noticed that she nonchalantly dialed her meter up. A passionate "No Expectations" followed the bluegrass block, and caught us all in the torrid waves that crashed around us. And then... "Well a rich gal, she drives in an automobile!" Jeff took his solo, and Ben came back with, "You know a poor gal, she'd love to do the same!" Adam took his solo, and before "My Gal" could really kick into full gear, Ben told him "I get hungry every time I hear that guitar solo, Adam. Every time. But you see... My gal's got her own private seat in the back of the sheriff's car, and she'll get around just the same!" YeeHaw! 


I held onto that rail spot as my friends took the set break to go smoke. And after what seemed like forever, my friends were back and so was Yonder. The second set started with Ben singing, "I get up every morning at the crack of dawn..." It's always nice to start a set with Benny Galloway's "Blue Collar Blues", and it was followed by a fun "Southbound". And then, wouldn't you know it, another Burle song, "Not Far Away". They have played this one less and less over the past couple years, so it was really great to hear it tonight. I just love the sound of Jeff and Ben singing this song together. Adam's fingers moved like the wind as he led the band in his newest instrumental, "Stumped". And then Jeff stomped on his pedal as Dave sang "Winds On Fire". Nice. Then Jeff and Adam faced each other as they picked the intro to "Cuckoo's Nest" - always a crowd favorite, especially with the ladies. And let me tell you, this one had a little something extra. Jeff put a lot into it, with so much emotion in his voice as he sang, "I dreamed, a little dream of you..." It was actually pretty amazing.




"Good Hearted Woman" came blasting in next, and the whole room bounced along with the band. I bounced my way back to the side of the stage just in time for Adam to sing "Night Out", and then for a taste of them all singing together on "Rambler's Anthem". Then Jeff started strumming, giving away the next song before everyone came in with "Harder They Come". Crowds love this song! I think it's the irresistible reggae groove. 



"Let's play another Burle song." Adam said before singing, "Dixie was the pride of Alabama..." That was a nice treat. I will gladly take a "Pride of Alabama" any day. The crowd got so unbelievably loud after this song, and Ben said to us, "At the end of this thing I need you all to go home and write down exactly what you ate for dinner, each one of ya. If I can figure this out, I'll have unlimited sources of energy." I felt as though I had unlimited energy when "Smiles Like She's Always Been A Friend" came out of the speakers next. This song has such a whimsical melody and flying harmonies that made me shake my hips and wag my finger like there was no tomorrow. And then "Ten" came out of nowhere and smacked us all upside the head. It brought me back to the present, and I made sure to absorb what was surely the beginning of the end of the set. "Ten" was a firestorm, heating up the room and scorching through our brains. It almost made me want to stop, drop, and roll. And then "Ragdoll" started and the slow groove caught me in its grip, and all I could do was close my eyes and sway along with the music. "Ragdoll" went on its jammy journey before coming back to the chorus and then morphing into the back end of "Ten". It was quite an epic way to end the night.




The band was obviously pleased with the crowd's extremely loud reaction as they re-entered the stage for the encore, which they started with "Naughty Sweetie". I was pleasantly surprised to hear this in the encore, and I flat out cackled as I saw Garrett lean over the rail and shout "Hi Ben!" with all the ladies. He had much more enthusiasm than any of those ladies out there. We ended the show with a Dave song, "You're No Good", and the energy was just as high now as during the height of the show. The band ripped it, and the crowd could have probably gone all night. 




This was a great show, but was followed by one of the worst Waffle House experiences of my life. But oh well, I have many more shows and many more post-show restaurants ahead of me. 



W.M.
W.M.
W.M.


Written by Dorothy St.Claire; photos by Dorothy St.Claire and Whitney Maxwell



Download this show from Yondermountainlive!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts on this post!